Friday, January 21, 2011

Update from 1/17/2011

Sorry this is posted late.  But, thought I would include it now:

Another update from the Pikett Family.  :)  First of all, if you would like to be taken off this email list, please let me know!  I feel bad that I am constantly bugging everyone.  But...this has been helpful, especially for my mom, because it cuts down on the phone calls that she would be getting. 

So, today my dad looks SO much better than he did when I saw him Friday morning!  Today, when I went to visit, he was sitting up, off the oxygen, drinking and eating breakfast, and watching Fox News.  It was so nice to see, especially since we have to leave today!  He reports feeling better too.  He does have a "happy button" (morphine) right now, so he is feeling pretty good.  

In my previous update, I mentioned that he was going to get a new drainage catheter placed to drain the newest (3rd) abscess that had formed as a result of his damaged liver.  During the procedure, the found a 4th abscess behind he rib cage.  The one hour procedure turned into a 3 1/2 hour procedure and this 4th drainage catheter is placed in a very painful position, going through his muscle and ribs.  Although the pain is getting better, he is still using the morphine to sleep, which is difficult to do in the ICU anyway.  

The other thing that is difficult is that they recently found a new infection in his intestines.  Apparently, this particular type of bacterial infection is dangerous for someone in my dad's case.  They are treating it with a very strong antibiotic (doribax).  They actually had to fill out paper work and get permission from the CDC before using this medication.  Over the past few days, my dad has experienced very low blood pressure (68/45), temperatures up to 106, dehydration, and low blood volume.  The doctors believe that many of his symptoms will cease after getting rid of this new infection.  

There are a few more things that they want to do before he leaves the ICU.  After requesting a dietician consult on Friday, his medical team decided that Dad will be receiving a NJ (type of feeding tube into his intestines) tomorrow.  He is also scheduled to be see by a Infectious Disease doctor tomorrow or Wednesday.  Hopefully this will not only help his current recovery, but prevent more set backs in the future, once he returns home.  He has few other medical things going on and they are waiting for some of them to resolve before moving him.  

We really appreciate (once again!) all the support and prayers over the last few months.  My mom has had food at home to eat every night.  It has been wonderful to come down and not have to go to the store and cook every day so that I can spend time with my dad and be there for my mom too!  My mom, Aaron, and Colin are all okay for a week or so.  Thank you to everyone who has offered to help.  I might call on you in a few weeks when my dad gets home.  That seems to be just as difficult as while he is in the hospital because my mom has to be at home 24/7.  Thank-you, thank-you to everyone who has supported us physically, financially, emotionally, and spiritually!  The only reason we are still standing is because of you all.  Thank you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment